Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:54:12 -0700
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AC 97 Sound

I'm working with a new install of 4.6 and I'm trying to get sound
working. My card is an onboard AC97 chip on a MicroStar International
MS-6309 LE2 mainboard.

Do I have to recompile the kernel to get sound working or can I do:

root # kldload AC97**module (whatever the appropriate module or modules
are from the /modules directory) and get sound that way?

I've read the handbook on this and am still somewhat confused, it
appears the pcm module should work with AC97 onboard sound, but so far
I've been unsuccessful.

If anyone can point me to a good newbie/bonehead site for kernel
compilation, I would sure appreciate it.

thanks
dale