Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:17:23 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: after the release ...

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 08:51:31AM -0500, Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support wrote:
> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > Good suggestion!  Go ahead and do it; I promise to post comments about
> > your design when you post it, and I'm sure Jordan and Mike will, too.
>
> Drop dead.  You can say it's boring to do and that Real Programmers (TM) don't
> need it, go ahead, but I don't need the sarcasm.

Er, Drew, he's not being sarcastic. What you've suggested would probably
be a very valuable addition to FreeBSD.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that there are too many projects and
not enough people to do them. The simplest way to get something to happen
is to do it yourself. Post messages to the lists keeping people informed
of your progress and asking for help as and when you need it.

> I neither a CVS expert

That's fine, and you should ask for assistance on the lists when you've
got problems. People will answer them -- I speak from direct experience
here, since this is how I'm learning a lot of this stuff.

> I'm only pointing out a failure in the FreeBSD release cycle, as Jordan
> pointed out HP and Sun have bugs, but THEY have a packaged patch process.
> FreeBSD does not, it only has "upgrade to the next release" or hand patch
> any fixes into the source and rebuild.  Adding such a patch function seems
> to be an issue of packaging a limited number of critical changes
> (in 2.2.5 for example, it would have been the lpd and the security fixes)
> into a package.  Under System V, it would be pkgadd.  Under FreeBSD the
> best method seems to be ports.

Great idea. Go to it. Seriously. In the process you'll probably learn a
lot about CVS, the ports system and the 'make world' process. You could
probably even have two sorts of patches, source and binary.

All this is not to say that you shouldn't post ideas and suggestions. You
should. However, if the other project volunteers don't have the time to
work on your suggestions, or have other things that they want to do that
they consider to be more 'fun' then don't be surprised if your suggestion
appears to be ignored. There are only so many hours in the day, and only
so many people who are actively contributing to FreeBSD.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?