Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:44:17 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        C.R.Harding@massey.ac.nz
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heavily loaded mail servers - any stats?

> I've been involved in a discussion with some people locally regarding
> large mail volumes and the size of servers needed to cope with it.
> They believe that 700,000 pieces of email per month (their current
> traffic) is an enormous load and requires big, expensive name-brand
> servers to deal with.

Heck, that's *nothing*.  Forget 'big heavy servers', if you're on a
significant number of FreeBSD mailing lists you're getting close to
10K/month, and that's per/user.  700K/month is chicken feed, and I'm
sure my 486/66 with FreeBSD could handle with w/out even breaking a
sweat.  Using a nice round 1 million email number a month gives you
approximately 24/minute, which means that youre server is probably more
I/O bound than CPU bound.  Get a good fast disk on the box and have at
it.

> So I'm interested in some stats from some of the larger mail servers
> running FreeBSD, and particularly freebsd.org itself, in terms of
> system size, MTA and version, and the mail load being handled. Anyone
> got any data they can chuck in?

I don't have any real data, but I'm sure if you post something to isp
you could probably get some pretty real numbers.

Nate