Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:21:03 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@interbizz.se>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable to 3.0 transition

> >> How long will a.out builds be supported for?
>
> JP> I would expect them to be phased out before the next release of
> JP> 3.x.x.  We are trying to make a point of _not_ becoming a "pick
> JP> your favorite object format" OS.
>
> Wouldn't the next release of 3.x.x (or even a later release) be the
> first release of 3...-stable?

Yes, some future release on the 3.0 branch will become FreeBSD-stable.

> It would be nice to have ELF support in -stable for at least a month
> or so of cvsup before phasing out a.out.

On the contrary, -stable is not the place for phasing things in or
out.  It's supposed to be, well ... "stable."

The 3.0 branch won't become FreeBSD-stable until it is in really good
shape.  Even now, there are very very few problems in 3.0 that can be
attributed to ELF.  There are some broken ports (which are rapidly
being fixed by our ports fixing _machine_ Steve Price and others), but
that's about it.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken