Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:06:13 +0200
From:      Raul <raul@b2n.org>
To:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AAR-1225SA REV A2, solved!

El lun, 08-09-2008 a las 23:34 +0200, Volker escribió:

> First you may try how your IDE adapter behaves under load. Older SiI
> chips used to work fine for light load but refused to work under load
> (in terms of write operations). I don't know if this is still true for
> these newer chips.

Well, I'm not sure how much load do you mean so I'll tell you what I
did ;). I've set a striped zvol and push 4 parallel dd reading
from /dev/zero and 8 tars decompresing src's and ports tarballs. Just to
add some 'noise' to the box, a buildworld was also running although from
other disk behind other controller ... after some time, the noise coming
from the disks changed, I thought, something has happened ... well, tar
finished successfully and only the 4 dd continue writing on the zvol.
About 6?GB on disk and several thousand files ... So I stop the dd's and
run a scrub on the zvol that was completed with 0 errors. After that, I
destroyed the striped zvol and set a mirrored one. From them, samba
shares, some netcat, scp's ... 24GB has been writen with a more 'normal'
load and still without any apparent problem.

I don't like too much this _scientific_ approach, but I feel pretty
confident about the controller ;).

> For the commit:
>
> 1) I don't have a commit bit, but we may get that in (by the help of
> somebody else)
> 2) we're already in a freeze situation - don't expect that to be in
> -STABLE before 7.1-RELEASE (also it needs to be in HEAD first and then
> may get MFC'd).

I see.

[....]
> PS: Can you please file a PR with my patch attached? I'm missing some
> time to do that (this way, the change doesn't get lost).

Yes, I'll do that.
Thanks a lot Volker.

Raul