Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:37:07 -0600
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
To:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: csh or bash (newbie)

pat pattered,

> you *can* change roots shell, but its not a good idea unless you have a
> statically compiled shell.

> Reason:

> be able to find the libraries neccesary to run. With FreeBSD it asks you
> which shell you want to use when dropping into single user mode to fix
> these things, but its just not a good habit to get into. Mostly because
> alot of other unices *don't*.

I've been toying with a script to check, but I'm not quite sure how.

I would like  a .file that, on starting interactively, checks to see
if bash is  available, and then executes it, otherwise staying in sh

But then again, I want lots of things, like the BSD utilities instead
of GNU under linux (if only to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth
from the church of emacs :)

rick