Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:26:53 -0700
From:      "David" <vetter_david@sbcglobal.net>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>, "Stijn Hoop" <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ! Fatal trap 12: System Crash twice in last 2 days

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
> From: "Stijn Hoop" <stijn@win.tue.nl>
> > I'm taking a wild guess here - have you updated your kernel but not
> your
>
> > userland by chance? Esp. if you're running ipfw you *really* should
> keep
>
> > your userland & kernel in sync.
>
> To the best of my knowledge they are in sync.  I did do them together
> following the usual procedure as documented in the Handbook.  I'm
> thinking of rebuilding tonight anyway in the hope of ironing out any
> error of this nature.
>
> Is everyone else who is on 4.6-STABLE running OK?  I might just go that
> route...
>
> Regards,
> Patrick O'Reilly.

Actually, I'm seeing the same problem.  I found a page which gave me some
info on how to prepare for a crash and what to do with it once it happens.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html?page=1

I'm still trying to get a crashdump but haven't been able to yet.  savecore
keeps telling me that no core was found.  I'm trying again now, though, as I
can get the fatal trap to happen fairly regularly. :)

david