Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 95 9:48:39 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Bios basemem (637K) != RTC basemem (640K)

> > >[Bios basemem (637K) != RTC basemem (640K)]

[ ... ]

> I see this message only when booting the SNAP 950202 floppy.
> Booting the hard disk FreeBSD partition does not show the message
> (though I still have the old bootloader which looks for 386BSD in the
> disklabel - wondered why it did not go away, though, when I labelled the disk
> using the 2.x fdisk/disklabel menu).

This is almost absolutely patch #1 from the patchkit; I think it has been
changed from the original code I wrote.

The reason it doesn't go away is that it's in the memory init in the
kernel, not in the boot loader.

The boot loader faithfully tried to load BSD even if there was not enough
room for it.  As a note here, I was never able to load a stripped kernel
and a shell process in anthing less than 640k -- 512k never worked for me.

I think there might be an option in the config that lets you get rid of
the warning; I know that I had one following a panic so I'd have to hit
a key before the machine reset so I could actually look at the message.
All this code has changed drastically, but that may be what the flag
now changes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---