Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 22:47:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Teletext and intercast

Thanks, Alan, for posting this (I have read this and many other pages
at the intercast site looking for technical specifications, but to no
avail...)

> >From the Intercast FAQ at http://www.intercast.org/info/info08.htm :
>
>     Q5. Will the Intercast medium be available outside of the USA?
>     What are the plans for implementing Intercast technology on
>     the PAL broadcast standard?
>
>     Initially, <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/iaweb/intercast/index.htm">;
>     Intel Intercast technology</A> will be developed and deployed
>     in the United States and is based on the NTSC broadcast standard.
>     PAL is expected to be supported by the end of 1997.  Differing
>     TV standards and government regulations in various countries
>     will have to be addressed before the Intercast medium can be
>     broadly deployed outside of the US.

I think one should read between the lines... since here in europe
we have Teletext almost everywhere since the early 80's, and at
least in Italy (but I am sure in many many countries) major broadcast
companies sell "pages" for commercial purpose (from advertising to
software distribution), I have a hard time believing that there
are technical or legal impedements to the deployment of something
like intercast outside the US.

Probably it's merely a question of whether or not there is a
sufficiently large market to encourage companies to license the
intercast approach as opposed to using public specifications such
as Teletext, or proprietary encodings (which is what many are doing
now).

>                                          Intel is investigating
>     the internationalization of the Intercast technology.

As an aside: my TV unit (bought in 1992 but probably designed a
couple of years before) has a browsing mode for teletext pages
which is almost the same as Lynx, and when I bought the TV I had
not seen yet a www browser! Intercast just adds some stronger FEC
protection to data (teletext only has a very weak protection) so
that graphics and HTML pages can be sent, and the use of a larger
cache for "pages" (typical teletext decoders use a small SRAM as
a cache, which can only hold a few (1..32) pages).

	Cheers
	Luigi