Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:29:04 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Salvo Bartolotta" <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Networking Diagram

From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To: Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 2:43 PM

>as you can see, people often ask questions *without* even browsing the
>freebsd site, trying "man name_of_the_thing" etc.

>some of them don't even bother to read Grog's excellent FreeBSD Guide.
>BTW, I have seldom seen a more useful and pleasant book ;-)

>however, sometimes, the available resources *are* incomplete or
>insufficient; which requires a little "trial and error" and "asking
>the -questions list" :-)

What you say is of course true and *reasonable*. Freebsddiary.org and
freebsd.org has seen a lot of me lately! The Pedantic PPP Primer is well done!
However, let's suppose that you *needed* to track-down a faulty electrical
component in your fancy Ferrari ;-))  - && - that you were a top-cabin FBSD guru
*but* a novice, albeit gutsy,
automotive tinkerer. Would you not agree that spending an hour or so reviewing
your Ferrari's electrical system diagram to be *more* beneficial at the *onset*
of your diagnosis / study? You will of course need to "man ferrari_shop_manual"
;^)  eventually, for the down-and-dirty "nuts-&-bolts" of your endeavor.

I've spent 17 years as Manager of the Internal Audit Dept. for a major Oil & Gas
Company. Often, it our interaction with the Systems Analysts in our IS Dept. ,
flowcharts were produced, for not only software applicable to our on-going EDP
audit, but for inter /intra -departmental methologies and procedures. Of course
there was the Policies and Procedures Manuals (man pages) for the groddy
details -- which my staff *had* to read and be familiar with. However, there is
_*nothing*_ like a diagram or flowchart to make a point *quickly* and
*precisely* -- especially for novices. That has been my experience!! Oil & Gas
Process Engineers used Gas Plant Diagrams and "bluelines" when discussing their
"network" of pipes and valves and processes. The rookie engineer with his
"Engineering HandBook" review the diagrams and _understand_ what's going on in
front of him!

I have to conclude that such an instructional tool doesn't exist (yet) in the
FBSD community and that the topic is moot. If and when I get up to speed on this
stuff, that will be my first contribution to the cause. I should say second
constructive contribution, because I responded to a request concerning the
make-up of a"cross-over" cable sometime ago. I simply attached to my post a copy
of a "diagram" of such a cable. This diagram was part of the Ethernet tutorial
that I spoke of in my previous post. The recipient was tickled pink at not
having to "merely" read about it - and - I was glad that I had it saved for
future reference. Get my point....?

Thanks for your thoughts....

-duke