Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 19:57:06 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        jrb@cs.pdx.edu (Jim Binkley)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starter attempt at lucent/wicontrol crib sheet

> Dear Lucent/prism (and other ... ) wicontrol debating society
> colleagues :-> ...
>
> I have attempted to capture the state of my knowledge below
> on the 3 known modes for Lucent/prism2 cards and wicontrol
> commands therein.
>
> Additions/deletions/rants?
>
> Maybe if we could get this right, we could put it in the man page?
>
> One serious question though:  don't you need to specify the
> 	channel with IBSS mode?

Yes you do if you don't like the default channel. You only need to
do it on the master(s) though.

> -----------------------------slice here ---------------------------
> Using lucent/prism2 cards:
>
> 1. managed mode
>
> 	wicontrol -p 1
> 	wicontrol -n "someessid"
>
> notes:
>
> 1.1. wicontrol -n ""
>
> will reassociate with ANY access point.
>
> 1.2  channel is NOT given with managed mode.
> It is determined by various scanning techniques in
> the card firmware.

> 2. IBSS ad hoc mode
>
> master:
> 	wicontrol -p 1
> 	wicontrol -n "someessid"
> 	wicontrol -f <somechannel>
> 	wicontrol -c 1
>
> slaves:
> 	wicontrol -p 1
> 	wicontrol -f <somechannel>
> 	wicontrol -n "someessid"

-p 1 is correct only for Lucent firmware. For Intersil firmware
you need -p 0 and for Symbol firmware -p 4.

> notes:
>
> 2.1. windows systems have defaulted to channel 10
> recently, and to channel 3 with older versions of firmware.
>
> 2.2. -c 1 may be given by others, and is non-harmful.

2.3
Support for IBSS ad-hoc mode only started in:

Lucent firmware from version 6.00.06

Intersil firmware from 8.00

Symbol firmware from 2.00.00 for ibss mode and from 2.50.00 for ibss master.

> 3. Lucent ad hoc demo mode
>
> 	wicontrol -p 3
> 	wicontrol -f <somechannel>
>
> notes:
> 3.1 known to work with at least one prism2 card (D-Link 650).
>
> 3.2 essid is not used, as there are no control packets
> 	other than data-side ACK.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org