Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:47:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panics & bad reads from 3.3-RELEASE install with aha2940u2w....

Ok - I give up.

I've tried this on two machines; one with the ASUS P2B-S you may
have seen me talking about; (with the "on board" aha2940u2w (aha bios #2.11))
and another with an ASUS P2B with a real aha2940u2w installed (aha bios #2.01).

I'm doing this all on the non-LVD SCSI chain; I've just a wide
disk drive with proper termination, and a 50-pin disk with
proper termination.

I've done it with a SONY CRX140S (a nice new SCSI CD-RW from
SONY) and a YAMAHA CRW6416SZ.  Both demonstrate the same bug.

So - I believe I've eliminated hardware from the scenario - leaving
only one thing - a bug in FreeBSD?

When I try to install by booting from the CD - the install
proceeds up to actually trying to extract the distributions
from the CD - at which point you get read errors, with cpio
complaining about checksum errors and skipping nnnn bytes of junk.
Of course, the files are not extracted.  This eventually ends
in a `write' error of some kind - although I don't think that's
actually what happened.

If I disable the CD boot - and instead, boot from the floppies,
I get to extracting the distributions and *poof* I get a panic
with a page fault - somewhere in CAM I think.

So - it would seem to me there is some CAM and aha 2940u2w problem
lurking in there...

Thoughts?

	- Dave Rivers -