Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:51:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alternate approach (Re: Privileged ports...)

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> That is one possible solution, but I don't think there is any point in
> adding such a specific config file when so many other things could benefit
> from similar functionality.  It is a dupe of sysctl in a lot of ways, so
> it may be an ide ato look at extending sysctl to handle it nicely.
>
> You need some interface to the kernel; some program like ipfw that goes
> through the file and reads the rules and sets them up in the kernel.  This
> program could be used for a lot of things; a good project would be
> extending sysctl to allow for less rigidly defined variables.  eg. can
> define ranges, variables that don't show up in a list until changed,
> having sysctl being able to read variables from a file (although this can
> be done now with a script, just isn't as nice...
>
> To summarize: good idea, lots of things like that, but as I have been
> saying all along we need a better generalized interface to such things
> because it makes little sense to keep adding little control programs here
> and there.  Perhaps someday....

It would be easy enough to have /etc/netstart simply chew on the port
config file and feed it to sysctl.  One reason I like the idea of having a
file for the config is for the visual aspect.  Having a bunch of vars
defined in /etc/sysconfig is OK, but not as visual as being able to map
everything out through a whole file.. *shrug*