Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:21:29 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        David Schultz <das@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TeXLive merge into FreeBSD ports tree - FreeBSD project idea

--nextPart12887154.MV0TCf0HVE

Hi all,

Summary of below.  I have started an effort to get TeXLive into the FreeBSD=
=20
ports. See github.com/DragonSA/texlive for details.  Volunteers welcome. =20

On Sunday, 17 June 2012 22:04:15 David Schultz wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> > Even with a knob instead of checking if print/texlive-core is installed,
> > it would put a lot of mess into the ports tree. Some maintainers will
> > not agree to introduce these conditions, if there is no general
> > agreement that we want to transition to TeXLive that way.

teTeX hasn't been updated since 2006 and the maintainer of teTeX has=20
discontinued development and recommends using TeXLive.  Undoubtably updatin=
g=20
the TeXLive will break some things but the same could be said about teTeX i=
f=20
an update existed. =20

Are there any people who don't want to migrate to TeXLive?

> > As far as I remember, both romain@ and hrs@ have stated that they do not
> > want both teTeX and TeXLive in the tree concurrently.

Looking through the list of bundled packages for TeXLive it will be quite=20
difficult to have both TeXLive and teTeX in the tree concurrently.  There a=
re=20
a group of "support" ports, such as xdvik and ptex that require special=20
integration into either teTeX or TeXLive.  To switch between either will=20
require reinstalling many dependencies, not just the TeXLive or teTeX ports=
=2E =20

With that said, it is not impossible nor, I think, will it impose a big=20
maintenance burden. =20
=20
> In that case, it sounds like using TeXLive in FreeBSD will be a
> bit tricky until someone steps in and does all the work required
> for integration.  Unfortunately I'm a bit time-constrained for the
> next few months, but I do use TeXLive and would be happy to test
> any proposed patches.

I have started working on just this, getting TeXLive into FreeBSD ports.  I=
t=20
is still early days and I have only two monolithic ports, with texlive-base=
=20
requiring lots of love. =20

I believe my work is in a state ready for initial testing (verifying the=20
ports) and some feedback.  Some open questions are:
 - how to split texlive-texmf (OpenBSD has an approach)
 - how to handle bundled software that has existing (sometimes outdated) po=
rts

Also, I am looking for a sponsor: someone who will commit the ports when th=
ey=20
are ready, and to provide feedback so that the ports may get to a ready sta=
te. =20

=46or details about the project, and to get the ports, please see:=20
github.com/DragonSA/texlive

Regards

P.S. I am not subscribed to freebsd-ports@ so please CC me. =20