Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:21:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDF, userfs

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Kelly Yancey wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Brian Beattie wrote:
>
> > I have been thinking about the userfs implementation.  I will need some
> > way for the user process to talk the backend of the userfs kernel code.
> > The two ways I have thought of are I/O,, probably ioctl's or a new system
> > call.

>                Perhaps you have put more thought into it, but
> the concern that immediately comes to my mind is how to get VOP function
> calls from kernel-space to user-space. Some kind of up-call mechanism
> seems in order. You had suggested a pseudo-device, presumably with the
> intent to have daemons which implement file systems to read from to
> catch VOPs and write to to return data.

Basicaly, the user process that implements the filesystem, would issue a
calls (i assume an ioctl on a pseudo device, but I am open to
suggestions). The userfs module would pass any VOP's back to the process,
or return an empty result.  One could also implement select support.
(exact details still open)

This is somewhat counter-intutive, in that one normally thinks of the fs
code calling something, and in this case it is called, but the effect is
ultimately the same, the operations get passed where they need to go.

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat