Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 09:42:54 -0500
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Alejandro_Ram=EDrez?= <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Kevin Bogac" <kbogac@ibm.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: natd question

Hi,

    You should try to recompile your kernel with the following options

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT

The first line includes basic IP Firewall support. Second line configures
ipfw to be able to log accepted or rejected packets. Third line is very
important. It does exactly what it says: accept any connections and packets
from anywhere by default, and the fourth line is for divert pakages to natd.

Make sure that your machine is acting as a gateway.  This can be done by
specifying the line gateway_enable=YES in /etc/rc.conf, and also you must to
specify firewall_enable=YES, and in firewall_type=UNKNOWN in /etc/rc.conf,
at this moment natd should work but the firewall is completely open, so you
must close anything you want from now.

Ales

I cannot get natd to work. I have searched through all of the information I
can find and my configuration seems correct. If I enable natd the interface
blocks traffic. I'm getting a line in the system messages that says
"/kernel: IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, rule-based
forwarding disabled, logging disabled". I built the kernel with the two
additional options. Did I miss something? Does the default rc.firewall work?

Thanks,
Kevin