Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:34:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happened to my mail program

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Frank Griffith wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 2.2.7 on a Pentium computer and use
> ppp to connect to my ISP. The computer then runs as a
> gateway for some other Win95 machines on my network.
> I constantly reinstall the OS to keep sharp on my skills
> and try different settings.

  I also installed FreeBSD several times at first, until
I became comfortable with what I was doing, with what was being
installed, etc. But with a wee bit of experience and knowledge
a person should be able to confidently install FreeBSD and then
use it (and back up that installation, etc) without repeatedly
reinstalling.
  Think about exploring other aspects of FreeBSD beyond the
installation process to keep your skills sharp. There is enough
potential in FreeBSD to keep a smart and energetic person busy
for a long time.
  By reading the documentation you will be able
to install other software and change your settings without reinstalling.
The advantage to this approach is that you can see the effects of a small
change, rather than wondering what happened because of a complete
re-install.

  Of course if it is Windows that you keep reinstalling, then you
are probably following the directions of MS tech support.... and
there is little hope....

> A few weeks ago I was able
> to do this:
>
>     mail some_address@some_domain.com
>
> Type in a subject and some text then exit with a .
>
> And the person at some_address@some_domain.com would
> receive the mail I sent. A few days ago I reinstalled 2.2.7 and
> now my mail won't be delivered. I can still execute the command
> and I do not see any error message, but no mail. I don't
> remember having to set anything for the mail to work. Can
> someone tell me what may be wrong?

Try sending email to yourself.
If successful, try sending to several other addresses.
See if they all fail, or if only one or two fail.
Use 'ps' and 'grep' to see if 'sendmail' is running on your machine.

Good Luck,
Marty Cawthon
ChipChat