Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:18:02 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>, "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org>, Joel Dahl <joel@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resolver not always resolving hostnames

Andy Fawcett wrote:

> I'm only seeing this effect (or maybe only noticing it) with csup/cvsup.
> Could be coincidence though.

Hrrm, it's odd that it affects both csup _and_ cvsup, since the former
is written in C, and links natively against our libraries. I'm
wondering if we're seeing a situation where the name servers that
those hostnames are delegated to are just taking a long time to
respond, and neither app is patient enough. I think it would be an
interesting experiment to see what happens if you increase the retry
timeout.

Is anyone else seeing this problem with other applications? Simon,
I'll address your problems with host(1) in a separate mail.

Doug