Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:27:48 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail problem

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 08:58:54AM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> Giorgos,
>
> I apologise for the 'lack of information', but that is exactly the problem I
> have myself.
>
> I have checked the maillog file as you suggested, and all I see that relates
> to these users are messages like the following:
> > -----
> > Jun 12 00:44:38 puck sendmail[10856]: XAA10856: timeout waiting for input
> >   from stefan.mip.co.za during message collect
> > Jun 12 00:44:38 puck sendmail[10856]: XAA10856: from=<stefan@mip.co.za>,
> >   size=0, class=0, pri=30000, nrcpts=1,
> >   msgid=<200106112144.XAA10856@mip.co.za>, proto=SMTP,
> >   relay=stefan.mip.co.za [10.3.15.62]
> > -----

Ahem, looking at the 8.11.3 sources that I have handy, the collect() function
which is called in src/srvrsmtp.c right after the DATA command is issued from
an SMTP client.  As I read the source of srvrsmtp.c, looking for hints, I
found out the following:

    1783                   case CMDDATA:         /* data -- text of mail */
    1818                         /* collect the text of the message */
    1819                         SmtpPhase = "collect";
    1820                         buffer_errors();
    1821                         collect(InChannel, TRUE, NULL, e);

and it is collect() that's printing the error you are seeing.

To make a long story short, I think that this is not a problem with your
Sendmail setup, but that other network connectivity problems prevent your
client from completing the message body after it sends the DATA command.

-giorgos