Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:24:02 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Karl Young <karly@kipshouse.org>
Cc:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipmitool and SuperMicro SYS-5027R-WRF

On Mar 27, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Karl Young <karly@kipshouse.org> wrote:

> Paul Mather(freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu)@2018.03.27 09:58:47 =
-0400:
>> The above works well enough for me to get a SOL connection using =
ipmitool as well as providing a system console via SOL.  I did recently =
have an issue, but that concerned my having changed the IPMI ADMIN =
password to something that was too long: even though the password change =
seemed to work, authentication failed because the password had been =
silently truncated at the Supermicro side to something shorter. :-(
>>=20
>=20
> If anyone else is curious, the max password length seems to be 20:
>=20
> https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=3D16778 =
<https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=3D16778>;

Hmm... that's odd, because my password was exactly 20 characters.  It =
would only accept it if I entered the first 19 characters.

What actually happened was that the longer password had worked.  Then, =
for some reason, it no longer worked.  I figured maybe some BIOS or IPMI =
firmware update had messed up something, so I reset it back to =
ADMIN/ADMIN.  That worked for logging in, but when I reset it back to =
the original 20-character password I could no longer log in.  After a =
little bit of trial and error, I discovered that entering the first 19 =
characters worked, so maybe it truncated it to 19 when I changed it?

> That's a long password.  {-;

At $WORK we recently adopted the Stanford model for passwords whereby =
the longer they are the less "complexity rules" attach to them.  For =
example, shorter passwords require an upper and lower case character; =
number; and special character to be part of the password.  Once you get =
to 20+ characters in your password you can pretty much use whatever =
characters you like, without having to make sure you include certain =
characters: you could have a passphrase of all lower case characters at =
that point if you wanted.  This is to encourage people to use longer =
passwords, which are more difficult to brute-force.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Thanks for the link to the password length FAQ entry.