Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:03:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Partial' X upgrade, now locked out of X server

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It looks like I have upgraded parts of XFree86 while installing some
> other ports, and I now seem unable to make even local connections to
> my X server.  I must admit, X is something I set up years ago on this
> machine, and have just set and forgot---as such, I do not even have a
> good appreciation for what information might be useful for people to
> help me debug this.
I guess the best idea would be to have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
and try how far you get on your own.
Also you should save your old XF86Config somewhere. It's syntax
has changed from XFree86-3 to XFree86-4, but probably you will be
able to recognize most important settings.

> While I am keen to get suggestions on how to correct this access
> control glitch, I would be happy to fully upgrade X if that's
> recommended.  Somewhat embarrassingly, I'm not even sure how this
> should be done---via ports?
Either via /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 or pkg_add -r XFree86-4
or /stand/sysinstall --> post install configurations

Good Luck,

Uli.

> --
> Paul.