Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:36:56 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1042425417.1a0533@mired.org>
To:        <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: LS -L  command, year created field contains hour:minute instead of year

In <MIEPLLIBMLEEABPDBIEGKEOGDCAA.barbish@a1poweruser.com>, JoeB <barbish@a1poweruser.com> typed:
> More info on problem.
> I have files created by FBSD 4.5 before 6/19/02 that have the year
> 2002 in the
> year field. When in moved to 4.6  6/21/02 I have files created
> during the rest
> of 2002 that  have dates with the time in the year field.
> Now 1/5/03 I went to 4.7 and see the same problem.

My earlier mail was wrong. Checking the source, the test for whether
to print the year or the time is for files older than six months plus
or minus. This is even documented in the manual page:

     If the modification time of the file is more than 6 months in the past or
     future, then the year of the last modification is displayed in place of
     the hour and minute fields.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. To get complete time information, use
the -lT.

	<mike