Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:01:58 -0500
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "FreeBSD ISP" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, "Walter Hop" <freebsd+20021209@walter.slik.org>
Subject:   Re: Loaded mysql box: best hardware?

If I were you, I would upgrade to dual Xeon 2.4-8Ghz board
and get RAID if you don't already have one. While you may
think MySQL will cache everything in RAM, it still has to
read and write to the drives. Check your HD IO to make sure
it's not causing any bottleneck. Also, while dual setup may not
benefit MySQL right now, when FBSD 5.x comes out, it should
greatly.

When you use top, mysqld uses most CPU? or do your PHP
scripts? how many queries a sec are you doing? Also, you can
try optimizing your queries. Finally, make sure you always keep
persistent connection to mysqld.

-Simon