Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:01:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-xircom@lovett.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, graeme.n.brown@bt.com
Subject:   Re: Combo 100Base-T Ethernet/10 BaseT Ethernet/Modem/ISDN cards

On 16-Sep-99 Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:58:54AM +0100, graeme.n.brown@bt.com wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a Combo PCMCIA card which they have found to work under
>> FreeBSD-3.2/PAO offering 100Base-T Ethernet/10 BaseT Ethernet/Modem/ISDN
>> support ?
>
> Xircom 'RealPort' cards work pretty well as both Ethernet and modem
> devices.  I think some of them do ISDN...can someone confirm that?  The
> Xircom driver web page is at http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~scott/xe_drv, also
> check out the mailing list archive at
> http://www.lovett.com/lists/freebsd-xircom/

A RealPort has a "generic" serial port on it which is used for connecting to
mobile phones and ISDN. You need to buy the right cable and potentially get a
flash upgrade for the Xircom's BIOS. The cable has a E2PROM in it to identify
to the card what the other end is plugged into.

Unfortunately, to get access to the other end of the serial link (be it
ISDN/GSM etc) you need to issue some Xircom AT commands to the normal modem.
If we hassle Xircom enough they might release them....

Duncan

---