Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:38:39 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???

At 10:07 AM +1030 2000/3/2, Greg Lehey wrote:

>  Just saw this on a NetBSD list.  It looks like a good idea.  We should
>  make sure that they don't implement it before we do.

	So, you have to make sure you have an SHA-1 hash of every file on
the system, and every time you go to create a new file, you have to
check the SHA-1 hash and compare it against the database, and if you
get a collision then you do a binary check to see if they really are
the same file.  If so, then you put in a soft link or a hard link to
the location of the original.

	But what about permissions and ownership?  What if there is a
single .cshrc file that exists for the whole system, but then one
user decides to go edit theirs -- do we now have to implement
copy-on-write for files, and then re-coalesce after the files have
been written?

	It strikes me that this idea opens up a whole lot of issues for
general purpose files that I'm not sure we want to even start
thinking about right now....

--
  These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>       Sys. Arch., Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin

Note: No Microsoft programs were used in the creation or distribution of
this message. If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible for any harm you may encounter as
a result.

See <http://i-want-a-website.com/about-microsoft/twelve-step.html>; for
details.