Date:      Thu, 08 May 1997 10:57:50 -0700
From:      Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>, Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headsup: SMP_AUTOSTART

Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> wrote:

> In the Intel SMP spec they differentiate the processors as
> bootstrap processor (BSP) and application processors (APs).
>
> This is mostly semantics and doesn't imply any differences in CPU
> priority when running SMP.  It is primarily for describing the bootstrap
> sequence and how its achieved.

There are 2 differences:

  --  The BP can always run the BIOS, and the APs might only work with
	some parts of it (for example, many machines don't support booting
	from an arbitrary CPU socket).

  --  The BP might be connected to special hardware for PC compatibility
	which isn't connected to the APs at all.  This is sometimes the
	case for systems which don't use "Virtual Wire" compatibility
	mode.  The implication here is that DOS interrupts may not be
	able to be routed to APs unless the switch to "Symmetric Interrupt
	Mode" is done, and even then maybe not (if the APIC doesn't
	have all it's inputs connected to the appropriate PCI/EISA/ISA
	IRQs).

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)