Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:11:58 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DPT RAID-5 -- newfs during sysinstall is hanging

I have a simple RAID-5 setup consisting of three Barracuda drives connected to
a DPT PM3334UW RAID controller (firmware version 07L0). Using the DOS-based
tools, I successfully built the RAID, specifying "other" as the operating
system (as per a message posted by Simon Shapiro, the author of the DPT
drivers). Everything appears normal at this point.

I then boot with the FreeBSD 2.2.7 boot floppy and do the visual configuration
thing. The RAID "drive" is picked up by dpt0, and the reported size is correct.
The rest of the installation -- partitioning, labelling, etc. -- proceeds
normally. I select "Commit" to get the ball rolling, and this is where things
stop going so well. newfs runs successfully on sd0s1a. Then on either sd0s1e or
sd0s1f newfs hangs. By "hangs" I mean that the message "Doing newfs -b 8192 -f
1024 /mnt/dev/rsd0s1f" remains on the screen forever (I tried letting it run
for twelve hours), and the only disk activity is what sounds like a short disk
access every second or so.

On the second virtual console is a long list of numbers, separated by commas.
I've done the above a half dozen times, and the last number that appears is
always 13828128, if that means anything.

I don't know where to proceed from here. This same RAID setup has been running
successfully with NT for the last year or so, so I'm reasonably sure that the
hardware is okay (though I guess you never know).

Would I have better luck posting this on freebsd-scsi? I'd considered it, but
the list charter seems to indicate that the list is for SCSI developers rather
than for people having SCSI problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris Johnson