Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 19:58:32 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
Cc:        crh@outpost.co.nz, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SETI@home has teams now!

"Mark S. Reichman" wrote:
> Craig Harding wrote:
>> Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>>>
>>> A note on FreeBSD's efficiency: My P2-350 spends almost 38 hours per
>>> unit when under W98 and that's with nothing else running.  The last
>>> work unit took my P166 running 3.1R just under 30 hours.  That's
>>> both disgusting and hilarious.
>>
>> What I can't figure out yet is the PII - 233 which has so far taken
>> 140 hrs to complete 93% of a work unit. It's got 64MB of RAM so it
>> shouldn't be slow, and it's running as a screen saver with nothing
>> else happening on the machine - obviously this is a windreck machine
>> as well.
>
> I am not windows weenie, but cant you control how much CPU is used
> "in the backgroud" on a windows machine?  Prolly in Control Panel
> somewhere or each process has its own settings.  Maybe your background
> CPU usage setting is low.  I'm taking a guess here.  I only play quake
> on my Windows machine dont really use it that much

There are process priority levels in Win9x.  But they doesn't let you
limit the amount of CPU time each process uses, just in what order the
things should be processed.  I'm not sure about NT.

On that note, is there are a way a put a limit on the load a process
creates under FreeBSD?  It would be great if I could leave S@h running
all the time under a load limit, then just lift that limit while I'm
not using the machine.