Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:27:43 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Andrew Scott Beals <bandy@cinnamon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bastard system

On Feb 02, 1998 at 03:26:17PM +0000, Andrew Scott Beals wrote:
> OK, I've managed to  screw myself really well.  I've now got a
> 3.0-971225-SNAP kernel, 3.0-970124-SNAP everything else and they  don't
> play very well together... ps and w are hosed, for example.  I've made a
> full backup, so I've got all my data, but I'd like to avoid  a full
> reinstall/reconfigure.  Any suggestions?

Programs that read kernel memory (top, ps, w, all the LKMs, etc...)
are sensitive to the layout of particular kernel data structures
and thus are closely tied to the version of the kernel you are running.

If any of the data structures change, these utilities need to be
recompiled to pick up the new data layout.  This is an unfortunate
interface wart, but one that doesn't seem to going away anytime soon.

The kernel structures have definitely changed between Jan-97 and Dec-97.
If you don't want to do a full reinstall, I'd at suggest the easiest way
to go about it would be to install the bin.dist from the corresponding SNAP.
Make sure you have a copy of your /etc directory, I'm not sure if it gets
clobbered or not.

I don't believe that rest of the system needs to be reinstalled.
--
Jonathan