Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:16:11 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

[Trying to take this to FreeBSD-Chat again, since this has nothing to
do with -STABLE.  -Brad]

At 10:34 AM -0700 2000/9/5, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>  We can agree that the 40 bit stuff is not worth the trouble. My 128
>  bit Lucent card says "128-bit RC-4 encryption". Last I heard, RC-4 was
>  not considered a "safe" algorithm.

	Looking at my card, I see that you are absolutely right -- it is
128-bit RC4.  I am not personally aware of any security weaknesses in
this algorithm, but I agree that it is not widely used, and I believe
that is probably because it is not felt to be as secure as
Triple-DES, CAST-128, or IDEA.

>  Also, in any multi-user environment, the secret must be too public. (I
>  believe that when I know something, it's secure. When I tell someone,
>  it's secret. When someone else is told, it's public.)

	True enough, but this is just one level of protection with these
cards.  The management stations also have a password to manage them,
and that should obviously be different.  So, you can use a shared
password to be capable of accessing the network via the encrypted
link, and a private password to manage the wireless hub itself.

>  Using an encrypted link is fine, but I worry that people will believe
>  far too much in its security. (Especially when they see "128-bit".)

	Well, it's better than nothing, which is what most people use.

	In fact, it's what I'm using right now, because I can't figure
out how to get WaveLAN cards on PCs and WaveLAN cards on Macintosh
and the AirPort with a WaveLAN card to all use the same password
hashing scheme so that I can even use a shared password.  ;-(

>  If I'm wrong and it is 3DES, never mind! But still use ssh whenever
>  possible.

	Agreed.  Ssh is a Good Thing(tm).  It should be used whenever possible.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium