Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 15:06:02 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Incoming Mail List <mailist@whoweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: irc server

Incoming Mail List wrote:

> Aha!  I see it now.  Thanks for the help, Doug.

	I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

> And since you're an IRC expert I hope I can ask a couple more
> questions that pertain to IRC.  I'm trying to setup a private IRC,
> not join in with other servers.  I just want a limited set of
> clients to be able to log onto my server and chat.
>
> 1.) Considering my intent for IRC (non published, member only,
> probably less than 20 or so clients connecting) is there any
> benefit to running it from inetd as opposed to just starting
> the ircd daemon from /etc/rc.config?

	Under no circumstances should you run ircd from inetd. You should start
it from a script called in /etc/rc.local. Make sure that the script does
an su to a normal user, and that that user has adequate resources to run
ircd.

> 2.) Are the channels that show up on the IRC client configurable
> from the server or are they built into the client software?  I'd
> like to have specific channel names show up when a member connects
> to the server.

	Channels show up in a /list if there are clients in them. If you want
the same channels to show up all the time when clients do a /list, run a
bot of some sort in that channel. You might also want to put the info
you want the users to see in ircd.motd.

> 3.) Are there any java based irc clients available as freeware or
> for a fee, that I can incorporate into a web page to interact
> with the server in addition to the ircii client software?

	http://www.webmaster.com/

Good luck,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest