Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:09:52 -0500
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        c.widger@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:33:36AM +0000, c.widger@comcast.net wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I recently purchased a D-Link DWL-650 16-bit pcmcia card. When I put the card in on my 5.2rc1 laptop it told me card unsuported. I looked arround on the Internet and found my card had a prism3 chipset, good but bad. Since the name of the card, when read by pccardd, is a little different I put the card in my 4.9 laptop and added a line to /etc/pccard.conf. When the card went in the wi driver was loaded, but this came up:
:
: pccard: card inserted, slot 0
: pccardd[42]: Card "D-Link"("DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP"
: ) [ISL37101P-10] [A3] matched "D-Link" (DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP") [(null)
: ] [(null)]
: wi0 at port 0x280-0x2ff irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
: wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
: wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
: wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
: wi0: init failed
: wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
: wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
: wi0: mac read failed 5
: device_probe_and attach: wi0 attach returned 5
: /kernel: stray irq 3
: pccardd[42]: driver allocation failed for D-Link(DWL-650 W
: ireless PC Card RevP): Input/output error
:
: Warner,
:
: The help you give the people on this list is excelent.  Thank you for
: sharing your wide knowledge.

Return it!!!  I banged my head against the wall w/that card.  It is
indeed a prism3.  However, when I did some digging in the Linux mailing
lists, I found out that it loads it's firmware via serial eeprom when
the card is initialized.  Those guys are still working on getting that
part working.  From what digging around I did, I didn't see any support
for such operations in FreeBSD.

        --Jerry

--
"In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught"
        -- The Travelling Wilburys 'Tweeter And The Monkeyman'