Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:26:45 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        baszd-meg@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 10:21 am, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
| On Tuesday 02 July 2002 09:52 am, baszd wrote:
| | Hi!
| |
| | > There are a number of possible ways to handle this.
| |
| | Ok, I forgot some possibilities...
| |
| | > The first is to *not* use dump and restore at all, but to use one of
| | > the many
| | > portable solutions for backup and restore, such as "tar",
| | > "cpio", "afio", or
| | > "pax."  That way, you can back up and restore from any old
| | > system, and you
| | > can switch, mix, and match backup servers willy-nilly.
| |
| | I think those old-school tools won't match my needs. I have to backup
| | about 20 GB from that FreeBSD server. If I need maybe a file with a size
| | of a few kb, than I have to wait hours to get it back (correct me if I'm
| | wrong).
|
| This varies from tool to tool, and you should read up on them, but in
| general it shouldn't take very long to restore a single file.  The only
| thing that should slow it down the seek time, and you have to pay that
| price no matter what you use to do the backup. Since tapes are

NOT  <---   tapes are "not" random-access . . . . is what I meant to say.
I hate it when I do that.

| random-access devices you basically have to read everything from the start
| of the tape onward to find anything on the tape, but this is true
| regardless of the software tool involved.
|
| Since backup and restore just backup the file system "as is" and don't
| translate, they are less intensive to backup and when doing the actual file
| restores, but finding a single file out of the archive is probably a win
| for the others; I very much doubt that it's a lose.
|
| And as for the backup time, it's entirely likely that this process is
| entirely i/o bound so that that other tools won't slow you down much.
|
| The big drawback is that they don't automatically do all that
| "daily/weekly/monthly" automated interleaved stuff.  You'd have replicate
| that yourself with a perl script or something.
|
| | > disk as long as the disk was mounted across the network to the Linux
| | > machine
| |
| | All right, that's an idea. It would be easy to mount the slice via nfs
| | (or even via smb), but the disadvantage is a weak security.
|
| You could use afs if you want a really high level of security.  You must
| somehow be getting the data for multiple machines now; how do you do that?
| Note also that if you wnat to go for ultimate security you an physically
| move the disk since each can mount the other's files directly.
|
| | > "restore" machine for dual-boot, since I presume that it's
| |
| | That would be feasible, but somehow circumstantial.
|
| I'm not sure that I understand this one.
|
| | > It also *might* work to use FreeBSD exclusively on the restore machine,
| | > and
| | > run the *Linux* restore under the Linux eumulator for doing the
| |
| | Mhm, could be dangerous as long as unexpectable flaws can occur.
|
| Yes . . . has anybody tried this?  Does it work?
|
| | > Hope this helps.
| |
| | Yes, thanx! It helps to think about some alternatives. However I'll check
| | out the dump | dd-thing first and see how reliable it is.
|
| That's surely easiest if this is a one-shot problem.
|
| | cu,
| |
| | bm.
| |
| |

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go