Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 00:36:52 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup-mirror port

John <freebsd-lists@reiteration.net> probably said:
> Connected to cvsup-master.freebsd.org
> No record for server "freefall.freebsd.org" in
> "/home/cvsupin/.cvsup/auth"
> CVSup update ends at 2001-09-23 04:07:06
>
> cvspasswd generates a password line comprising of my email address and a
> md5 hash and instructs me to place the string
> cvsup-master.freebsd.org:email@your.domain:xxxxxx: (where xxxx is your
> plaintext password) into auth and to send the md5 hash string in a
> secure email to the upstream mirror admin (in this case cvsup-
> master.freebsd.org (aka freefall.freebsd.org)
>
> The question is, am I doing this correctly (I don't need write access to
> the upstream repository, so why the personal login) who would I need to
> contact, and what is their public key?

I'd assume that it's so cvsup-master is only used by the mirrors and
not j. random public.

You don't have to cvsup your mirror from cvsup-master, of course.  I
run mirrors at the two sites where I have a lot of machines to save
bandwidth and cpu time on the official mirrors, but I just cvsup from
one of the public mirrors ...

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu