Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 01:59:57 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        pete@sms.fi, mike@sentex.net, dg@root.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp0 and full duplex

> *  > Do you know, for a fact, that MS IP stacks (from Win95 thru NT Server)
> *  > are significantly less efficient than the BSD variety?  Or are you
> *  > just slamming MS for the hell of it?

> * While FreeBSD with P166 can easily fill a 100Mbps pipe, same hardware
> * running NT or 95 comes up to around 30-45Mbps. There are multiple
> * independent studies available on the web to confirm this story, with
> * FreeBSD, Solaris x86, etc...

>We have observed the following on two P6-200 (96MB memory, 14-disk
>(IBM DCHS) striped array, Intel EE Pro 100/B) connected via crossover
>cables:
>
>FreeBSD server - Windows NT client: 4.4MB/s
>FreeBSD server - FreeBSD client: >10MB/s
>
>That is the speed of ftp transfer of large files from disk to disk.
>(Of course, this could be the filesystem and not the network driver,
>but it's just a single datapoint anyway.)

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also at least partially to do with
"suckage" in the ftp client.  The NT ftp and telnet clients have been
known to suck badly in many other ways.

I'd be interested to hear if you've tried FreeBSD client - WinNT
server, where the ftp server is IIS 3.0 or better.

I'd give it a try right here, but all my adapters are routed through a
10Base-T hub which limits me to max 10Mb/s.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.