Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:22:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml@t-b-o-h.net>
To:        ken@kdm.org (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Camcontrol not changing modepage

> > 	I want to turn ARRE on, which is supposedly
> > able to be re-written :
> >
> > himinbjorg# camcontrol modepage da0 -m 1 -P 1
> > AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
> > ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  0
>
> The page control value of 1 that you specified tells camcontrol to ask for
> the bitmask of changeable bits in the page.
>
> The 0, above, tells us that we cannot change the ARRE value.

	OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! I thought it was telling me that it was
available for R/W, AND that it was currently set to zero.....

> > TB (Transfer Block):  1
> > RC (Read Continuous):  1
> > EER (Enable Early Recovery):  1
> > PER (Post Error):  1
> > DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  1
> > DCR (Disable Correction):  1
> > Read Retry Count:  191
> > Correction Span:  250
> > Head Offset Count:  204
> > Data Strobe Offset Count:  5
> > Write Retry Count:  70
> > Recovery Time Limit:  3880

	And I thought that because the above ones were not 0 or 1...

> > 	I do the "-e" and insert in my editor :
> >
> > ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
> >
> > 	And I get back :
> >
> > camcontrol: modepage entry "ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld)" is read-only; skipping.
> >

> > 	Am I doing something wrong?
>
> That's the expected response for a bit marked read-only.  It looks like
> your drive is probably broken, though.  It's returning the same values when
> you set the page control field to 1 as the current values.  It should
> return a bitmask instead.
>
> What drive vendor/model is this?

umass0: Generic Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/1.41, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <JetFlash TS4GJF2A/120 8.07> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 3999MB (8191998 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 509C)

	USB pendrive......

> In any case, it probably doesn't matter that much.  If the drive can't read
> the block you're trying to read, there is a 99% likelihood that it won't be
> able to do ARRE on that particular block, either.  ARRE is only useful for
> blocks that can still be reconstructed with ECC information, not for blocks
> that are beyond repair.

	I was hoping it would "try" to move it, and mark it bad so I can
atleast continue to use it as is. If something was destroyed, atleast I
can get the rest of the information.

> Although it would be good to turn on ARRE for any future bad blocks that
> can be recovered on read.
>
> I think the only way to do that with camcontrol for this particular drive
> would probably be with 'camcontrol cmd'.  You'd have to format the CDB and
> mode page by hand.  'camcontrol modepage' won't let you edit fields that
> the drive says can't be edited.

	This is *W-A-Y* out of my league...... :-/

		Thanks, Tuc