Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 95 13:57:00 EST
From:      Ruiyuan_Jiang/Advantage_KBS_at_LotusXchg@njcorp.akbs.com
To:        Adam David <adam@ubiq.veda.is>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nntpxfer Exectable File Missing

  Thanks for your answer. NNTPXFER is a client software. It will call
  another News server to pull the News. Since I missed nntpxfer, our news
  server can not call our internet server provider NetCom's news server.
  What we can do is waiting for the News server from NetCom call us. I
  asked NetCom and the answer from NetCom was that NetCom provides both
  methods: Xfer (nntpxfer) and Xmit (nntpxmit). Actually PSI only provides
  Xfer method for C News (http://www.support.psi.net:80/iservices/) that
  means it definitely requires nntpxfer if you are the PSI customer and if
  you try to use C News. Can you recompile or can you simply put in
  somewhere so I can download nntpxfer and maybe some related files. Thanks
  again.

  Ruiyuan Jiang
  rjiang@akbs.com

>>  * I downloaded nntp-1.5.11.5 (with C News) from your ftp server under
>>  * packages-2.1 directory. After I extracted the nntp-1.5.11.5 using
>>  * pkg_add command, I think I am missing nntpxfer exectable file under
>>  * /usr/local/libexec/news/nntpxfer? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I took a look, it seems like this is intentional (patches/patch-aa
>> explicitly ignores nntpxfer).

> Yes, it was intentional. I ported the nntp server only, and
> nntpxfer is a client program. It is a simple matter to add
> nntpxfer to the build and the packing list. Shall I do this? > Of course,
it will not change the fact that nntpxfer is