Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:12:02 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Fabio <info@maconnect.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iMac G3 -> Fatal kernel trap

Fabio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to install FreeBSD (either 7.2 or 8rc1) on two iMacs
> G3 400Mhz (slot-loading). But I haven't succeeded yet. When booting on
> the install CD with version 7.2, it shows a "fatal kernel trap" and
> immediately reboots. As for version 8, the console freezes after a few
> seconds.
>
> I've been advised to send a problem report at this e-mail address.
> More details about this problem can be found here:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=46170#post46170
>
> I'd be happy to see freebsd work on those imacs. As a developer
> myself, I'd be pleased to help. Please let me know if there is
> anything I can do.
>
> Best regards
> Fabio
That's quite strange -- 8.0 and 7.2 both work well on the blue & white
Powermac G3s, which are very similar hardware-wise. I can't seem to view
the screenshots on the forums without an account there. Could you post
it somewhere else, or provide more detail on where it gets stuck?

You might also want to try doing 'set hw.ata.ata_dma=0' from the loader
to see if ATA DMA is causing problems when initializing the ATA bus.
-Nathan