Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:27:49 -0400
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW almost works now.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:14:31PM -0400, Antoine Beaupre (LMC) wrote:
> Jamie Norwood wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:25:33PM -0700, Jason DiCioccio wrote:
> >
> >>Welcome to the shitty protocol that is: FTP.  To use active ftp, you
> >>need to allow connections to all inbound ports above 1024.  To allow
> >>passive FTP, you need to allow outbound connections to all ports
> >>above 1024.  FTP is obsolete, too bad everyone still uses it though.
> >
> > What do you recommend? SFTP?
>

> IIRC, there's a nice protocol called HTTP that does not have ftp's limitations. ;)

No, it has a host of limitations all it's own, not the least of which is
that is is actually less efficient at transfering files, and that it has
limited CLI tools. Remember, not every computer has a monitor, mouse, and
web browser!

I would love to see something quality replace FTP. Maybe SFTP will, but it
is still young, and if SSH is any indication, the onlt commercial support
for it will be very expensive (IE, SecureCRT/SecureFX at about $100 each).

Yeah, I know about PuTTY,but I don't like it. :)

Jamie