Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:59:25 +0000
From:      dicen@hooked.net
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disklabel info.

I have been running freebsd for quite a while now and I just bothered to
look at the disklabel info. Funny since I once installed a Dec Alpha
system with OSF and the disklabel was the worst part of the install
program (you couldn't change a thing). So now I look in the file at see
the following.

type: SCSI
disk: sd0s2
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 455
sectors/unit: 7309575
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:    65536        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 -
4*)
  b:   409600    65536      swap                        # (Cyl.    4*-
29*)
  c:  7309575        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
454)
  e:    61440   475136    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.   29*-
33*)
  f:  6772999   536576    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.   33*-
454*)

Well, nice it got all the drive info without asking me (Quantum Atlas
4.2gig FW). But why does it have 0 for fsize and bsize? This is really
weird. I can't seem to figure out the filesystem blocksize anywhere
(haven't checked the source yet though). Is it really a 4.2BSD
filesystem? I will need to change the rpm if that does any good. My disk
just seams a little slow.

Any where I can find technical information about FreeBSD filesystems
would be helpfull. I would like to use the lastest version is 4.2BSD it?
Thanks for the info.

dicen