Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:00:20 GMT
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/91504: x11-servers/xorg-server-snap doesn't build with WITH_MODULAR

The following reply was made to PR ports/91504; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To: lesi@FreeBSD.org (Dejan Lesjak)
Cc: freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:57:29 +0100 (CET)

 First of all, thanks for taking care of this PR!
 I think it can be closed.  See below.

 Dejan Lesjak wrote:
  > Modular xorg ports come from same sources as "monolitic" build that is default
  > in FreeBSD ports but are currently "work in progress". Features that come from
  > them are currently covered by default ports that x11/xorg meta port depends
  > upon. Is there anything in particular you think would differ between libGL
  > port and xorg-libraries port?

 No.  Actually it was just an attempt to get 3D hardware
 acceleration to work correctly, which I had problems with.
 So I decided to give the libGL port a try.  However, that
 conflicted with xorg-libraries and led to the reported
 problem.

 If the "WITH_MODULAR" switch is currently experimental and
 not expected to work correctly out of the box, then I
 suggest it should be marked as experimental, so people
 don't spend hours trying to get it to work.  :-)

 Other than that, I think this PR can be closed.  In the
 meanwhile, Xorg 6.9 has been released, and 3D acceleration
 now works fine for me with the updated i915 DRI/DRM stuff.
 Therefore I have no need to play with libGL and WITH_MODULAR
 anymore.

 Best regards
    Oliver

 "Being really good at C++ is like being really good
 at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
         -- Thant Tessman