Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:57:08 -0500
From:      "Rossen Raykov" <rraykov@sageian.com>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   problem using sysinstall

Hi,

I've received strange results after using sysinstall on 4.1.1-RELEASE
FreeBSD.

On preinstalled system I start /stand/sysinstall

From the menu I select "Configure" -> "Distributions" .
I select only bin from the distributions and start install from the primary
ftp server.

Everything ware fine except that that I started the installation remotely
(thru firewall) and at some point after the transfer finished my ssh
connection timeout and I loosed the connection with the server.
I assume that the bin (re) installation finished fine.

An hour later I went in the server room where box is and I try to login like
root.
For my surprise the system didn't prompt mi with a password but give me the
root command prompt?!
This off cource was not all.
When I look at the /etc/password it ware completely new one!
The root was without password, the root alias toor was with * for a password
and without a shell!
All other users accounts ware missing!
I put a password for root and toor and try to login like toor.
The result was that I received the root command prompt even if the account
was without a shell in /etc/passwd?! The shell that I received was /bin/sh.

My question is : is it normal to achieve such a results after this action?
Is the sysinstall behavior correct? Why there ware no warnings about changes
in /etc/passwd?
Is it normal the behavior on toor alias?

I believe the answer on all this questions is NO!
I that is true then what wrong have I did?

My sysinstall options are:

<snip>
Options Editor

Name            Value                   Name            Value
----            -----                   ----            -----
NFS Secure      NO                      Media Timeout   300
NFS Slow        NO                      Package Temp    /usr/tmp
Debugging       NO                      Newfs Args      -b 8192 -f 1024
No Warnings     NO                      Config save     YES
Yes to All      NO                      Re-scan Devices <*>
DHCP            NO                      Use Defaults    [RESET!]
FTP username    ftp
Editor          /usr/bin/ee
Tape Blocksize  20
Extract Detail  high
Release Name    4.1.1-RELEASE
Install Root    /
Browser package lynx
Browser Exec    /usr/local/bin/lynx
Media Type      <not yet set>

Use SPACE to select/toggle an option, arrow keys to move,
? or F1 for more help.  When you're done, type Q to Quit.
</snip>

Please send copy to my e-mail address since I'm not on the list.

Regards,
Rossen Raykov