Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:13:52 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Carolyn Longfoot <c_longfoot@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT/DNS/WEB

Carolyn Longfoot wrote:
> I have a machine that's a dual homed host running NAT and DNS, connected
> to the outside world with a static IP. It seems I can nslookup
> 'www.mydomain.com' from the outside, so I think my DNS responds to
> lookups from the outside.

If nslookup from a machine on the internet resolves the name to the proper
address, then your DNS is correct. A simple "ping www.mydomain.com" will
tell you whether or not the DNS resolved.  If you then can't contact that
machine, well, it's not DNS that's the problem.

> I am pointing 'WWW' via DNS to a separate machine called
> web.mydomain.com but for some reason from the outside I cannot get to
> www.mydomain.com. It is working from the inside however.

What's the IP address of the www machine?  If it's a private IP addy,
you'll get this behaviour.

> My confusion is therefore the following: how can I test that outside DNS
> queries are resolved correctly and why would requests for www... not get
> routed to the Web server?

Use nslookup, if it gives you the right number but you can't contact it,
then the DNS is correct but something else is wrong.

> I'm pretty sure nothing relevant (UDP 53 or IP 80) gets dropped by the
> firewall btw.

But is the routing information correct?

> This is my first attempt at DNS so please be gentle :-) I'm looking for
> a conceptual answer but I can follow up with config files if it helps. I
> read some old posts at 'Ask Mr.DNS' that talked about running 'split
> DNS'. Is that still necessary?

Depends.  The machine that's running the web server, is it actually
accessible from the Internet?  If not, you'll either need another IP
address or to alias via NAT.
If you alias, you'll make your DNS entry for www point to the machine that
has the static IP, then you'll configure that machine to pass the request
through to the real webserver.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology