Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:29:39 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of Java/FreeBSD

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 05:26:59PM +0100, Herve Quiroz wrote:
> I have coded some simulator to study routing algorithms for my PhD thesis
> and I have tried running my tests with jdk1.3.1/FreeBSD and
> linux-jdk1.4.0/FreeBSD. It's damn slow... I mean far more than I expected.
> I used to do tests under jdk1.2/hotspot-server/win32 and jdk1.3.1/win32
> and I thought freebsd was just a bit less performant. What a surprise. To
> give an idea : I think win32 goes more than 5 times faster than bsd.

Under what similar conditions across all platforms ? HotSpot ? or just
the bytecode interpreter ? Have you used any of the open source JITs
like ShuJIT and OpenJIT and compared the results ?

> Note that this is not a complaint mail. I am willing to help as far as I
> can to make FreeBSD the best platform for java.

Yeah, right, not a complaint mail my ass. ;)

> I was just wondering if someone had some hints about some performance
> issues that might help to still use FreeBSD for my tests. I mean before
> the day we have full powered hotspot/FreeBSD ;)

What about IO driven benchmarks ?

> Maybe the linux-ibm ? or even Kaffe ? What can be done with JIT like
> openJIT ? I know I should test on my own but you all know what it is : the
> deadline for the article was... well, I think I should go back to paper
> quick :(

Well, things are going to suffer in the BSDs for now, you'll just have
to wait for the port to get finished and there's nothing I can tell you
that can comfort that bad news other than it's being worked on right now.

Give it time and more self imposed unemployment. ;)

bill