Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:37:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Greg Quinlan <greg@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU gcc 2.95.1

> How far behind is 2.7.2.3 from 2.95.1?

Quite a ways.  Especially in terms of languages other than C, e.g. I
wouldn't use g++ 2.7.2.3 for C++ development, but YMMV.  Note that 2.95.1
can be traced directly to the egcs development rather than what was previously
the core gcc development (I believe gcc 2.95 is what would have been egcs
1.2).

> Is 2.95.1 considered an unknown qauntity/ quality?

The main issue is that the 3.x kernel will not compile correctly with
egcs/gcc-2.95.  It will compile, just not correctly :).  The relevant
kernel code has been fixed in the 4.0-CURRENT branch but I don't know
of any plans to backport the changes to -STABLE.

I've used egcs for C++ development for quite some time and am very pleased
with it overall.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083