Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:34:13 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Alvin Sim <bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: stop ppp dialing on boot

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 07:53:15PM +0800, Alvin Sim wrote:

> Wednesday, April 18, 2001, 06:22:58 PM, Rasputin wrote:
>
> R> * Alvin Sim <bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk> [010418 04:20]:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >>    i  have been searching around for a way to stop ppp from dialing when
> >>    the  machine  boots  up but so far, i cannot say that i have found an
> >>    answer. hopefully someone here can help me out :)
>
> R> Find out what's bringing up the line.
> R> Chances are one of your daemons does a DNS test or similar when it starts up.
>
>    this  just  might  be it but... how do i see which is starting up the
>    dns  test  search?  i  have  `inetd' disabled in rc.conf and the only
>    thing thats in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are:

I seem to recall from the time I went through this exercise, that
"sendmail" was the culprit doing DNS lookups. I believe that i cured the
problem by disabling 'dns' in ppp.conf. Check the mailing list archives -
I'm sure that there is *lots* of material on this issue. Later...
--
-duke

Calgary, Alberta, Canada