Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AC 97 Soundcard

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Dale Morris wrote:

> I'm trying to get sound established for my new 4.6 FreeBSD system and my
> sound card is an onboard AC 97 on an MSI (MicroStar Int) MS-6309 LE2
> mainboard.
>
> Do I have to compile sound support in the kernel or can I load a kld for
> the soundcard? Such as:
> root# kldload ac97**module
>
> Can anyone point me to some newbie info on how to do this? I have read
> the manual and am still a little unclear what to do with this particular
> card.

The modules are in /modules.  The sound modules all begin with snd_
You might try kldload snd_pcm

However there's no guide I know of (other than their names) that explains
each kernel module.  snd_via82c686 may be related to AC97.

If you want to try not compiling it into your kernel, you can set up the
kernel mods you want to load on boot.  The syntax is in
/boot/defaults/loader.conf

Lines from that file (with "NO" changed to "YES") would go
in /boot/loader.conf

If you want the latest on AC97, a good place to search is google;
click on groups; type mailing.freebsd in the box; then click on the
radio button "Search only freebsd mailing lists"; then type your
search string in the box (e.g., AC97).

Google is a good place to search the freebsd mailing lists because
you can search all of them at once against the index google provides,
which is pretty good indexing.

I think the best overview on sound is man pcm.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC