Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 13:57:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   soundcard configuartion

I have version 4.0 of FreeBSD, and am finding many places where the
outdated book 'The Complete FreeBSD 3rd ed.' that was packaged with the
CDs I bought gives me inaccurate info.  One major thing is configuring my
sound card.  I have an OPL3 sound card, and the book says something like:

controller snd0
<card specifics here>

4.0 uses the word device instead of controller according to when I try to
build my kernel with my sound support added.  The problem I run into is
when I do this:

/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
it says "the sound drivers are deprecated, see /pcm/sbc/etc."

I copied my configuration directly from the man page for sb which it says
OPL3 support (not OPL3 FM) is included in device sb

This is how my kernel looks for sound support:

device snd0
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1

What am I doing wrong?
Is my man page also outdated?
Thank you
banksw@sunit.edu