Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:20:47 GMT
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, robinson@public.bta.net.cn
Subject:   Re: Weird problem with nlpt

I previously wrote:

>I'm running 2.2.7-RELEASE with ppbus on a Tecra 510CDT.  The ppbus works
>fine with the vpo driver and my external Zip drive.  However, I just added
>a new printer (Epson Stylus Color 800) which works fine on this hardware
>under Win95, but badly misbehaves with nlpt.
>
>If I run this command line:
>
>  % echo -n '123^L' | lpr -lh
>
>I get a page that looks like this:
>
>  +-----------
>  | 112233
>
>If I print a longer document, the printer gets a dozen or so bytes into the
>job and hangs.  "ps -axl" shows the lpd process waiting on "nlptwr".
>Eventually lpd times out and dies, leaving the printer waiting for input.

I finally got around to compiling a non-ppbus kernel, and the old lpt driver
works flawlessly with my hardware/software.  The ppbus drivers work flawlessly
with the vpo driver.  The ppbus nlpt driver, however, just stutters and stalls.

I think I have pretty conclusively ruled out pilot error on this problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions on likely bugs to look for, or should I
just put this on the pile of PR's and maintain separate kernels for ppbus and
printing?

	-Michael Robinson