Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

> Huh?  Have you actually heard anyone say, ``Well, we were going to use
> FreeBSD, but darned if we found out at the last minute that it doesn't
> have a journaled file system.  We decided to use KY Brand UNIX
> instead.''
Actually yes I have heard this, and quite often. (It is more likely that I
suggest FreeBSD and I am asked if it can provide a journaled file system
and I am forced to say no)

> Most corporate IT managers wouldn't know a filesystem if they were
> bitten by one.
That is absolutely the case. That is why I can not suggest that
softupdates is as good as a journaled file system. The people I deal with
at least know the buzzword and they want to make sure that whatever
solution they go with will have it.

This is getting off topic. What features would you like to see in a new
file system. Some suggestions were made. Would you like to add anything to
this list?

-Don